1. The "Dikika baby girl" is also called "Lucy's baby", "Little Lucy", and "DIK-1-1". What is her name in the Ethiopian (Amharic) language??
2. What does Australopithecus afarensis mean: "Australian ape found forensically"; "southern man from a far land"; "southern ape from Afar"; or "fair-skinned monkey man"?
3. Name the Ethiopian paleoanthropologist who discovered the Dikika baby.
4. The legendary first emperor of Ethiopia, Menelik I, was believed to be the son of which two famous historical figures?
5. The region of Ethiopia has had many names. Which one of the following has not been used to describe it: Abyssinia; Punt; Atlantis; Cush; or Yam?
6. "Lucy", the famous fossil skeleton of Australopithecus afarensis, was discovered by a team led by the noted anthropologist Donald Johanson in 1974, in an area not far from where the Dikika baby was found. Who was "Lucy" named after?
7. What does "Dikika" mean in the local Afar language?
8. The slogan of the Ethiopian Tourism Commission is "Thirteen Months of Sunshine". Where does this 13th month come from?
9. What is the most important cereal crop in Ethiopia?
10. Name the most famous hoax in the history of anthropology.
View the answers
Spotlight Home Page