The correct answer is: Mariana Trench
A deep-sea trench is a long, narrow, characteristically very deep and asymmetrical depression of the sea floor, with relatively steep sides. Oceanic trenches contain the greatest oceanic depths and are associated with the most active volcanism. Mariana Trench in the western Pacific Ocean is the deepest location on Earth, with a depth of approximately 10,920 m (35,825 ft). Its deepest point is known as “Challenger Deep”. The other trenches listed here are also found in the Pacific Ocean.
1. Name the five oceans of the Earth.
2. Sonar is a remote sensing technique or device that uses sound waves to detect, locate, and sometimes identify objects in water. What is this term "Sonar" an acronym for?
3. What is the definition of Benthos?
4. The film Ocean's Eleven has been made twice: the original in 1960 and a remake in 2001. There have also been two sequels to the remake: Ocean's Twelve from 2004 and the just-released Ocean's Thirteen. The name "Ocean" is the name of the main character, Daniel "Danny" Ocean. What two actors have portrayed this character in the films?
5. When the RMS Titantic sunk on the night of April 14/15, 1912, off the coast of Newfoundland, how many lifeboats were on the ship: 5, 20, 50, or 120?
6. Name the submarine and its famous captain from Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea, the 1870 classic science-fiction novel written by Jules Verne.
7. Name the largest predatory fish to ever have roamed the seas.
8. What does "Scuba" stand for?
9. In Greek and Roman mythology, who is the god of the sea? Plus what other two items is he the god of?
10. What song by the Beatles has the line "I'd like to be under the sea"? Name the lead singer and songwriter of the tune as well.
View the answers
Spotlight Home Page